The Merton Primary School is the lead school for the STEP School Direct route that provides trainees with invaluable classroom experiences to equip them with the skills and knowledge to become effective and confident primary teachers.
The STEP alliance has worked in very close partnership with the Leicester and Leicestershire SCITT, an Outstanding ITT provider, in the design of this School Direct programme. All School Direct trainees on this route will benefit from following the full training programme of the SCITT. All school placements will be in partner schools of the SCITT and at least one of those will be in one of the STEP schools.
School Direct is a route to train teachers that follows the SCITT (School Centred Initial Teacher Training) philosophy of putting schools at the heart of the ITT process. All trainees on School Direct programmes accredited by the SCITT will specialise within training to teach either Lower Primary (3-7yrs) pupils or Upper Primary pupils (5-11yrs).
Why train through STEP & L&L SCITT?
- 100% of our trainees were graded by schools and the SCITT as `Good’ or Outstanding’ against the Teachers’ Standards at the end of training
- 98% of trainees gained QTS
- Rated as one of the two TOP primary ITT providers nationally for the quality of training in The Good Teacher Training Guide for each of the last two years.
- Outstanding in its most recent OFSTED inspection.
- A number of SCITT students have gone on to gain employment in one of the STEP schools and receive ongoing support through our NQT Teach Meets.
For more information about the STEP School Direct route please visit the Leicester and Leicestershire SCITT website.
How to apply?
All applications to Initial Teacher Training providers are managed through the UCAS Teacher Training website.
STEP TSA is really pleased to be part of TeachLeics, a partnership of teacher training providers in Leicester and Leicestershire. The aim of the partnership is to raise awareness of the different routes into teaching locally and attract more people into the profession.