The Merton Primary School is the lead school for the STEP School Direct route that provides trainees with invaluable classroom experiences to equip them with the skills and knowledge to become effective and confident primary teachers.
The STEP alliance has worked in very close partnership with the Leicester and Leicestershire SCITT, an Outstanding ITT provider, in the design of this School Direct programme. All School Direct trainees on this route will benefit from following the full training programme of the SCITT. All school placements will be in partner schools of the SCITT and at least one of those will be in one of the STEP schools.
School Direct is a route to train teachers that follows the SCITT (School Centred Initial Teacher Training) philosophy of putting schools at the heart of the ITT process. All trainees on School Direct programmes accredited by the SCITT will specialise within training to teach either Lower Primary (3-7yrs) pupils or Upper Primary pupils (5-11yrs).
Why train through STEP & L&L SCITT?
- 100% of our trainees were graded by schools and the SCITT as `Good’ or Outstanding’ against the Teachers’ Standards at the end of training
- 98% of trainees gained QTS
- Rated as one of the two TOP primary ITT providers nationally for the quality of training in The Good Teacher Training Guide for each of the last two years.
- Outstanding in its most recent OFSTED inspection.
- A number of SCITT students have gone on to gain employment in one of the STEP schools and receive ongoing support through our NQT Teach Meets.
For more information about the STEP School Direct route please visit the Leicester and Leicestershire SCITT website.
How to apply?
If you are interested in the STEP School Direct/SCITT route into teaching and would like the opportunity to discuss it further please download the potential applicant form here. This information will help to personalise the expert advice and support we can offer you. With this support you can put yourself in the best possible position for all initial teacher training application and interview processes and for the start of your training.
All applications to Initial Teacher Training providers are managed through the UCAS Teacher Training website.
For further information
Open Afternoon – Thursday 15th March, 1.30 – 3pm at The Merton Primary School
At the event you will have the chance to:
- Speak to program leaders and find out more about the valuable training and support provided through L&L SCITT.
- Find out about STEP TSA and the benefits of training and working in one of our schools.
- Observe first hand practicing teachers in a classroom.
- Talk to some of our teachers who completed their training with L&L SCITT.
To book a place on this event please click here.